Thursday, September 4, 2008

Lighting Rig


Ok so I did some more tweaking to the lighting rig and tried a few things that ultimately didn't work as well as I had planned (using lightfunctions and spotlights to give the ground more of a canopy look to it).

Anyways here's a shot of the latest build on the lighting. I managed to light up the ground a bit more to a point where it should be dark enough to create that dark forest feel while still giving us a lot of contrast on the outside.

I think that for this this will do, although as the level progresses and more and more statics/textures/effects are added I will continue to tweak the setup until we get the forest that we originally envisioned..

-Mark

4 comments:

Team member said...

still looks totally dark to me. John brought up a interesting point - if you look and their ingame screens there are no shadows. just something to think about.
-lawrence.

Colin Callahan said...

As lawrence mentioned john brought up a great point about their in-game screens. Although this is most likely due to engine limitations on their side, I think we should elude to that style. The solution may be as simple as lightening the shadow color of the sky's directional light, those extra lights that you were adding in class may not even be necessary if this simple fix works.

Logan VonHabel said...

I always pictured the forest being brighter, more vibrant, and the getting darker as the player moved deeper in. But i still think that the image you posted is still to dark. Is it possible to have an 'ambient' light the illuminates all surfaces equaly? Or maybe have it so that the forest doesnt cast dark shadows?

Mark Neneman said...

I still plan to make the forest get darker and darker as the player progresses. We've got the rigs and general ideas setup it was just a matter of finding our starting point once we began building the finished level. Once we have this rig finalized, creating the other two is just a matter of changing a few settings (color/brightness) and we should achieve the results we want.