Friday, August 8, 2008

Scripting Idea..

So I had this idea about our vines and using MEL Scripting... How hard would it be to write a quick script that created vines around a spline with the spikes and whatnot coming off at variable points. Basically a vine maker script. Then all we'd need to do is slap a generic texture on em and we could come up with lots of different vine configurations really quickly. Just an idea.

-Mark

3 comments:

John Bingham said...

I thinks its a great idea, Im not that good with mel but if you or Colin think you can handle it I think its worth trying it might save us a lot of modeling time.

Colin Callahan said...

I was thinking about the same thing, but it probably would take more time than just modeling 3 or 4 versions of the vines. But, in max we could rig a vine so that you can go back to the spline level and make quick adjustments. the spikes would be as simple as a scatter compound so it will update automatically after the spline for the loft of the vine is changed. I'll post it up on sugarsync once i get it all rigged.

Team member said...

anyone ever use Z spheres in Zbrush? You could import the tree into zbrush and wrap the z-sphere around the model exactly like a spline - except its easier to adjust as you go along. That way you could get the vines exactly how you want them to look. Then like colin said, use scatter for the spikes in max. In my mind it seems that a script would be a little too random and not give you a really nice hand crafted appeal. but then again i don't know shit about scripting.
-lawrence