Monday, August 25, 2008

Tower

Here is the tower. The first two with the criss cross supports John drew up. I can't remember the name of the SOE guy that interviewed us 1on1 last week. He mentioned that the criss cross supports may be a bit busy, so the third one is the option. Opinions?

4 comments:

Logan VonHabel said...

that turned out good. Maybe you could use the criss cross, but only on 2 opposing sides, and a latter on the back side that leads to the top.

Mark Neneman said...

Lots of minor things are really bugging me with the tower.

First, the lightning is coming off with very sharp shadows in places that it seems like they shouldn't be. This can be fixed by cleaning up some of the vert placement so there aren't many of those odd shaped polies.

Second, it doesn't look like the small support beams even do much to help the tower stand. Also, how are they attached to the tower?

Third, the top cross beam that acts as railing seems too thick compared to the vertical supports.

You may want to find some architectural reference for things like water towers and see how those are supported and maybe just stylize that in order to get a tower that fits the art direction, but also looks like it can support a giant metal cannon, crew, and ammo on top.

-Mark

John Bingham said...

I think the tower looks great, you could probably get away with using more polys since its a large structure, that should help with the funny shadows. I agree about the supports looks to busy, I like Logan's idea about only applying the supports on the 2 apposing sides. I would put on the front and back leaving the side open for the ladder. which I will have a concept for soon. as for the supports I don't think its that important that things look structurally sound the art style doesn't really demand for that. if you look at the updated drawing for the tower it shows the supports lashed together with rope.
we will just have to fake that some how with a torus and some rope texture.

other than those minor things fantastic job Im really pleased with how it all turned out.

Rich said...

I don't seem to see an updated concept of the tower with rope, can you post that? For tomorrow I'll have a couple versions of the tower to choose from.